A Federal High Court in Lagos has fixed July 10 to hear a suit challenging the conviction of popular actress, Funke Akindele, her husband, Abdulrasheed Bello (JJC Skillz), and 236 others.
A lawyer, Olukoya Ogungbeje, is seeking a declaration that the law upon which Akindele and others were convicted was inconsistent with the 1999 constitution.
Akindele and others were arrested, tried and convicted for violating the Lagos State Infectious Diseases (Emergency Prevention) Regulations 2020.
The movie producer had hosted a birthday party in her Lagos residence to celebrate her husband’s birthday.
But Ogungbeje is arguing that the arrest, arraignment, trial, conviction and sentencing of the Akindele and others lacks legal backing.
The legal practitioner insists that the offence for which they were convicted was unknown to the law and could not be grounds for criminal liability.
“I have a duty to protect and defend the sanctity of the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria from any contravention or infraction,” the counsel said.
He cited an Appeal Court’s decision in 2016 involving Faith Okafor vs Lagos State.
Ogungbeje submitted that a violation of such regulation could not result in criminal liability.
What You Should Read Next
- Movie of the Week: MOMS AT WAR starring Omoni Oboli & Funke Akindele
- Actor Majid Michel gets molested…and it’s the current MATTERS ARISING
- Court Sets Free 15-Year-Old Girl Who Killed Her Father’s Friend while Trying to Rape Her
- It is GBEKLE’s born-day, so biko, shift aside your personal narrative and ‘Kiss-Her’ a “HAPPY BIRTHDAY”
- YemmeYbaba is Plus One Today…His former Employer, GhanaWeb Eulogizes Him
- YemmeYbaba [Managing Editor of YTAINMENT.COM] is Plus One Today
- Mo’s Get to Know: Meet music mogul DON JAZZY
- “After impregnating my sister, he took one of our daughters to the hospital to have an abortion”, MABEL narrates to court why it should end her 41-year-old marriage to RICHARD
- SEE How BIG CHURCH FOUNDATION Rescued Divine Mercy Orphanage Home From Been Evicted from a Rented Apartment by the Court
- Court sentences HERBALIST for allegedly raping his NIECE