A month ago the National Film and Video Foundation (NFVF) and Netflix announced a partnership valued at R28 million to produce six South African feature films. The agreement will see both partners contributing R14 million each in support of the production of local films, which will include exclusive debuts on Netflix.
This partnership will fund 6 micro-budget feature films at 100% of the production budgets. Specific attention will be paid to creatives who have at least 2 short films and venturing into their first and second time as feature writers, directors and producers. Preference will be given to compelling, character-driven narratives in genres that are original and demonstrate a filmmaker’s unique vision. Films should also be culturally-authentic with a global appeal.
All projects should be at final stages of development.
● Micro Budget film – A motion picture shot within tight financial parameters, usually with minimal cast, crew, and equipment.
● Fiction – An audio-visual production which places an emphasis on an imaginary account of a story. It may be based on fact or adapted from a literary or other work.
● Feature film – A motion picture with a minimum run time of 80 minutes and a maximum run time of 120 minutes.
● Emerging Filmmaker – Women and Youth filmmakers (writers, director, producers, DOPs) working on their first or second time feature films, these filmmakers must have a body of work (shorts films, 1 features) that shows their artistic style and vision.
● Tier 1 – Experienced filmmakers with a proven track record for developing and producing 3-5 theatrically-released feature films.
● Tier 2 – Filmmakers with limited experience but have developed and produced 1-2 theatrical feature films, television fiction, documentaries, 2-3 short films and/or commercials seeking to venture into feature film development and production.
● Tier 3 – New entrants into the industry, particularly recent film school graduates from historically disadvantaged backgrounds. This intervention is geared towards first time filmmakers having a “calling card” in the film industry.
● Stream one: Films @ R4 000 000 Cap: Feature Films by emerging talent. [Tier 2 or Tier 3 talent]
● Stream two: Films @ R6 000 000 Cap: Only eligible for established filmmakers with a minimum of two features [Tier 1 or Tier 2 talent]
Applications must include the following Creative information:
● Brief project summary (maximum 5 pages) that includes Synopsis, Logline, Genre, Target market
● Fiction: Full Script (at final draft).
● CVs of the key creative: Producer, Director, Writer, DOP, Editor, and Leading Cast.
● Letter of intent from director
● Producer’s notes.
● Director’s Treatment (maximum 20 pages).
● Detailed budget (Amounts to be spent at pre-production, production, and post-production) and Cash Flow.
● Production schedule
● A document explaining the stage at which the project has reached as of the date of this application and identify its needs in terms of production (max 600 words).
Applications must include the following Administrative information:
● Tax Clearance
● Certified ID copy (6 months)
● Company registration / or SPV is applicable.
● BBBEE Certificate
● A list of the films/ audio-visual projects produced by company/ies.
● Links of the director’s previous work
● Chain of title documentation/ Contracts proving the acquisition of necessary rights (e.g. option contract, script writer’s contract, music etc.).
Interested filmmakers are able to apply here till the closing date of 07 May 2021.